Home | PointsPlus™ Calc | WW Friendly Recipies | WW Tools & Info | Restaurant P+ Values | Non WW Recipes | My Journey | Disclaimer
You need to understand how to read a Nutritioal Information label to caluclate PointsPlus values for any food or recipe...
Here is a sample label that I will use to explain...
Looking at the label on the left here's what you need to know:
1. The term "Nutrition Facts" is the newest label term and tells you it is an up to date legit label
2. Serving size tells you how much is a single serving. You need to be sure to count how many of these servings you use in a recipe!
(2b). Just below serving size is "Servings Per Container." In a recipe if you use a whole can of something you need to account for that many servings in the recipe. In this case 4.**
3. Calories - The old points system used this to calculate points BUT the new PointsPlus program DOES NOT!! I kept it in my spreadsheets for reference.
4. % Daily Value is explained on the label and not used in calculating PointsPlus.
5. Total Fat - This is the fat grams PER SERVING. DO NOT confure with calories from fat above it!!
6. Saturated Fat - Not used for PointsPlus but best to keep this low or 0!
7 &8. Not
used in PointsPlus but try to keep that sodium low. The Mayo Clinic says:
"According to the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans:
9. Carbohydrates - These are a major part of PointsPlus calculation Listed per serving.
10. Dietary Fiber - Under the new program Fiber is no longer limited to 4g when calculating PointsPlus so more is better!!
9. Sugars (this is not used for PPlus)
11. Protein - Need to use this in your calculation. Remember PER SERVING!!
** if you want to be VERY accurate with counting servings, which may be good
since some foods say "about 3 1/2" or something like it,
Then you should divide the total amount of the food by the amount per serving making sure to use the same unit of measure (like Grams)
1 can Pumpkin = "About 3 1/2 Servings
Each serving is 122g
The entire can is 425g
422 divided by 122 = 3.4836 which rounds to 3.5
Some of my other sites...
Other Helpful Sites
Our Travel Pics Includes Costa Rica 2011!
|WEIGHT WATCHERS is the registered trademark of Weight Watchers International, Inc. PointsPlus is a trademark of Weight Watchers International, Inc. Trademarks used under license by WeightWatchers.com, Inc. © 2011 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2011 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved.|